I’ve been asking a few people to make a list of what their grateful for and I’ve gotten some really good responses so here they go.
- For family, whether “by blood” or the people you’ve met in your life, that always make you feel at home.
- For parents and guardians who most of the time they did their best, and maybe if you got lucky, will always be some of the best people you know.
- For mothers who were the first people to love you, who nurtured, who taught, who cheered, who supported; who carried the pains you couldn’t.
- For fathers who love you like you like their prized possession, who disciplined, who protected; who gave everything they could for you to be everything you are.
- For brothers who were your first friends, who teased and taunted but would never let anyone hurt a hair on your head.
- For sisters who were some of your first friends, who you fought with and fight with, but still never let anyone hurt a hair on your head.
- For your significant other-that you can find someone to love, who doesn’t have to love you, but loves you anyway. And that you met them at the right time, in the right place, is nothing short of a miracle.
- For your many significant others who are your true friends, who make life a lot easier to go through, and who love you more than you deserve.
- For teachers who partook in your formation, who saw things in you that you didn’t, and who challenged you to do your best.
- For pets and all animals we encounter who give us free and unconditional love. (Especially dogs of course.)
- For good health if you have it, one of life’s greatest pleasures. For any good health at all.
- For a body that allows you to function in any way.
- For a brain that allows you to think about the world and it’s people in all the ways that you can.
- For the colors of the world that make life so much brighter than it would be otherwise.
- For seasons, no matter how many we experience and don’t experience, their more existence is proof that things are meant to change.
- For the numerous cultures that we can learn about and even have the opportunity to visit all around the world.
- For history, that we can learn about it in different ways and use that knowledge to make our present and future better.
- For people who get up early in the morning to clean your streets and drive your busses and trains.
- For baristas who make your hot and cold drinks to perfection.
- For cashiers and baggers in grocery stores who stand on their feet for long hours each day, making lives easier.
- For waiters and waitresses who put up with us when we’re at out worst-hungry.
- For people who work at clothing stores, whose service often goes unnoticed.
- For a warm bed at night.
- For a coat in the winter time.
- For a phone that allows you to communicate with people instantaneously even when your far away from them.
I wanted to do some advantages and disadvantages to social media. Some advantages are 1. Worldwide connectivity. No matter if you are searching for a former college roommate, your first grade teacher, or an international friend, no easier or faster way to make a connection exists than social media. These connections help with a variety of things such as: finding romance, seeking a new job, locating assistance, receiving support from like minded individuals, and accessing news in real time. In many ways, these social communities are the virtual equivalent of church socials where family and friends gather to exchange news and get updates. Even the age old custom of connecting with pen pals has been upgraded as private messages can be sent over social media. When it comes to getting information, few methods are faster than social media. 2. Invaluable promotional tool. Companies, artists, and musicians can reach an impossibly large and diverse amount of people using social media sites. This allows them to promote and market themselves and their products in a way that has never been seen before. 3. Information spreads incredibly fast. Breaking new and other important information can spread like wildfire on social media sites. Important things like recalls, storm information, or missing children are all communicated and taken seriously very quickly. 4. Helps to catch and convict criminals. People often do not think of the consequences of what they post of these social sites. Pictures of themselves doing illegal things, or even bragging posts about crimes they have committed are all things that law enforcement use to persecute these criminals. They also use these sites to identify and solve existing cases.
Some disadvantages are 1. Perpetuates false and unreliable information. Just like stated above, anything can spread to millions of people within hours or days on social media. This also, unfortunately, includes things that are false or made up. This information can cause panic and severe misinformation in society. 2. Causing major relationship problems. Online social interactions with social networking have not only been starting new relationships, but ending many others. It is very simple to communicate and share pictures or plans with a person on social media and keep it completely under wraps. This new temptation has been driving wedges into people’s real life, offline relationships, often time ending them for good. Social networking puts trust to the limit. 3. Used to profile and discriminate in the job world. Just about everyone has a social media account the shows what they look like, the type of life that they live, and how old they are. Employers are using this to their advantages is some very unsettling ways. Jobs that are looking for a certain criteria of person, but cannot legally express these criteria, are using social media to pre-screen their applicants. 4. The addiction is real. One of the biggest problems with the social media craze is that people are becoming more and more addicted to using it. It is the number one time waster at work, and at home. All of this has caused people to have literal withdraws from their social networks. Crazy!
I have started blogging because it’s part of my English assignment’s for the rest of the semester.